4 slices of crusty white bread • butter for spreading • 100g strong mature cheddar, grated • 100g red leicester, grated • 1 chinese cabbage • 1 large carrot • 6-8 radishes • 2 garlic cloves • 2 tablespoons fish sauce • 2 tablespoons chilli sauce like sriracha • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar • 1 heaped tablespoon caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C Fan/ Gas Mark 4.
- To make the Mak Kimchi, roughly chop the cabbage into large chunks and place in a microwaveable bowl. Add 4 tablespoons water to the bowl and place in the microwave to steam for 2 - 4 minutes. You want the cabbage to be tender. Drain and leave to cool fully.
- In the meantime, grate the carrot, radishes, garlic and ginger into a large bowl. Add the cabbage when cooled. Pour in the fish and chilli sauce as well as the rice vinegar.
- Sprinkle over the caster sugar and thoroughly stir all the ingredients together. Press into a sterilised Kilner jar and leave at room temperature for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight to ferment. When fermented, place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat a Signature Cast Iron 30cm Rectangular Grill empty over a medium heat for five minutes to get it hot. Take your sliced bread and butter each slice on one side. In a plate, turn the slice butter side down and fill two slices with cheese. Place the remaining two slices of bread on top, butter side up - the buttered side of the bread will be in contact with the grill.
- Place the sandwich on the grill and cook for 4 minutes. Once golden and perfect grill lines appear on the bread, flip and repeat on the other side.
- Serve alongside a good helping of the kimchi.
Discover the edit
24cm Round Casserole
30cm rectangular grill
32cm serving bowl
30cm shallow casserole
Stoneware dip bowl