For the honeycomb 50g caster sugar 1 tablespoon golden syrup 1 tablespoon water ¾ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda Or 55g readymade cinder toffee/honeycomb
For the muffins 115g plain flour ½ teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 40g light brown sugar 5 tablespoons full-cream milk 4 tablespoons caramel condensed milk or dulce de leche (see Cook’s notes) 1 medium egg 40g melted butter
For the frosting 25g butter, softened 85g icing sugar ½ teaspoon vanilla extract 2 teaspoons milk
1. Line a ½ litre capacity shallow dish with baking parchment.
2. Melt sugar with the syrup and water in a small pan over a low heat until dissolved. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes until the syrup turns a golden brown and has developed a caramel aroma. Take care not to let the syrup go too dark or the honeycomb will become bitter.
3. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda with a quick beating motion and pour into the lined dish. Take care as the mixture will be very hot and will foam up very quickly. It will continue to foam in the dish for a short while then subside a little before setting.
4. After about 45 minutes, when the mixture is completely set, remove the block from the dish and place into a large air tight container until required. Don’t worry if it breaks in the process.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas Mark 6
2. In a medium-sized bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar.
3. Measure the milk into a jug and whisk in the caramel condensed milk, egg and the melted butter.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Combine everything together to make a batter.
5. Spoon the batter mixture equally between the mini muffin tray cups. Bake in the centre of the oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
6. Remove from the tin and cool.
The frosting and finishing
1. Combine the butter with the icing sugar. Add the vanilla with the milk and beat for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Spread the frosting onto the cooled muffins.
3. Break up the honeycomb into small pieces and sprinkle over the top of the frosted cakes. Consume on the same day as baking.