45 minutesCooking time:
100g Lindt Excellence 70% Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
60 g cocoa powder, sifted
250 ml just brewed hot coffee
200g unsalted butter, room temperature
235g granulated sugar
140g packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
325g all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
175ml buttermilk For the frosting
250g brick style plain cream cheese, room temperature
45g unsalted butter, room temperature
30g cocoa powder, sifted
¼ teaspoon salt
100g Lindt Excellence 70% Dark Chocolate, melted and cooled
265g icing sugar, sifted
80g sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract For the glaze
200g Lindt Excellence 70% Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
200ml single cream
75g butter, cut into cubes and room temperature INSUTRCTIONS
- Preheat oven to 350°F /180°C/ Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour three 9-inch/23 cm round cake pans and line bottom with parchment; set aside. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. Combine chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a heatproof bowl. Pour hot coffee over top. Let sit for 2 minutes and whisk until smooth and let cool.
- In large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one a time, beating until incorporated after each addition. Beat in vanilla and then cooled chocolate mixture.
- With mixer on low, alternately add the dry mixture in 3 parts with buttermilk in 2 parts, starting and ending with dry. Scrape the bowl as needed between additions. Scrap into prepared pans; smooth top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Remove from pans.
- Fudgy Cream Cheese Chocolate Frosting: Beat cream cheese with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Beat in butter until blended and smooth. Beat in melted and cooled chocolate and cocoa powder. Beat in icing sugar until blended. Beat in sour cream and vanilla until creamy. If frosting is too soft to spread, chill for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place one cake on a cake plate; spread top with a half the frosting. Top with another cake and spread remaining frosting on top. Cap with remaining cake. Chill cake for 2 to 3 hours to set frosting and until ready to glaze.
- Glaze: Place cream in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM power, stirring every 30 seconds for 1-2 minutes or until hot. Add the chopped chocolate to the cream and allow to stand for 30 seconds before stirring. Stir through the butter until smooth.
- Place cake on a cake rack above a plate or tray large enough to catch the excess glaze. Pour glaze over top and smooth it over with a metal spatula. Chill for 1 to 2 hours until glaze is set.
- Garnish cake with gold leaf and Lindt Teddy.
- For a smooth chocolate glaze, glaze cake as soon as butter is incorporated. If you prefer to see traces of the spatula, wait a few minutes and allow the glaze to harden slightly.